3 Types of Documents You Need to Get Disability Benefits for Your Child

Children, including those with disabilities, can receive Social Security benefits. A parent, grandparent, or another qualified person can apply on behalf of a minor. However, they must obtain a list of documents to do so, which the Social Security Administration (SSA) or a disability attorney will help you get. Below is a quick guide to what you need.

Required Paperwork for Social Security Benefits

1. Proof of Birth & Citizenship or Status

The parent or guardian of the minor must provide their birth certificate. They must also send the child’s original birth certificate or other proof of birth or adoption. Applying parents may also need to show proof of United States citizenship. If they were not born in the U.S., applicants must provide proof of status as lawful aliens.

2. SSA Forms

Social Security benefitsIf seeking Social Security benefits for a disabled child under age 18, SSA requires an Application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and a Child Disability Report. To obtain benefits for an adult child disabled before turning 22, applicants must complete an Adult Disability Report (SSA-3368) and Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration (SSA-827). These forms describe the child’s medical condition and authorize the SSA to acquire the necessary information.

3. Medical Information

Parents should provide the names, addresses, and phone numbers of every doctor, therapist, hospital, and clinic where their children have been seen or received treatment within 12 months or longer. Further, they should gather medical records they already have, including children’s patient ID and medical assistance numbers, as well as any medications they take.


Social Security benefits help children, including those with disabilities, enjoy a better quality of life. The disability attorneys at Bronnberg & Henriquez PC offer legal counsel to help parents secure these valuable benefits. Whether your family lives in Nassau County, Queens, or the Bronx, NY, these skilled and experienced lawyers will guide you through every step of the process. To schedule a consultation, call the Bayside office at (718) 714-8542 or their Garden City office at (516) 580-2095. For more information about their background and expertise, visit the website.

via: nearsay

Small Enough To Care Big Enough To Win

with 30 years plus of law experience